I’ve recently noticed that while lots of Facebook Fan Pages have created a custom username for their URL (facebook.com/VisitIndiana, for example), there are still plenty of Fan Pages out there that still use their long, cumbersome URL instead of a shortened username (facebook.com/pages/Visit-Indiana-Indiana-State-Tourism/42785429080).
Luckily, Facebook makes it easy to create a custom username for your personal Facebook account and your business’ Fan Page.
The only caveat is that you have to have at least 25 fans of your page before you can create a username for it. This is Facebook’s way of ensuring that people aren’t creating pages just to squat on popular names.
The video below gives you a quick walk-through to help you create your custom Facebook Username. If you can’t view the video, just click through to the full post and you’ll see text directions to create your username.
Here’s a simple 4 step guide to creating a Facebook Username:
- Log into Facebook and go to Facebook.com/username
- Select whether you want to create a username for your personal profile (recommended) and/or your Fan Page
- Enter the username you want and click on Check Availability
- VERY IMPORTANT: Facebook doesn’t allow you to change your username, so double-check the spelling to make sure you get it right!
- Read the terms and click on Confirm
There you go, you’ve created your username on Facebook. Now you can promote your new shortened Facebook URL!